TeleTech Holdings, Inc. a leading global provider of customer experience, engagement, growth and trust and safety solutions delivered through its proprietary end-to-end Humanify Customer Engagement as a Service offering is focused on helping brands survive and thrive in their customer experience this holiday season, as Black Friday and Cyber Monday post record sales.
As holiday shoppers flocked to take advantage of Black Friday deals and Cyber Monday specials, retailers worked hard to win over customers online and beyond. The National Retail Federation’s (NRF) annual survey found that over 64 million people shopped both online and in stores, 58 million shopped only online, and over 51 million shopped only in stores this holiday weekend. More people may be buying online but the initial purchase is only the beginning of the customer relationship to the brand. Customers expect not only top quality in the products they purchase, but in the associated services that are provided before, during and after the sale as well.
“The ability to serve each customer in the channels in which they wish to shop while delivering an omnichannel experience throughout the buying cycle are key points of differentiation for leading retailers, marketplaces, and consumer direct companies,” said Kyle Priest, Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer, TeleTech. “Omnichannel buying experiences include pre- and post-sale services, with customers continuing to have high expectations for satisfaction. How companies treat their customers in the last mile of service experience continues to vary widely, yet it is becoming the battle ground where brands will win or lose.”
According to NRF, the multichannel shopper spent $82 more on average than the online-only shopper, and $49 more on average than those shoppers who only shopped in stores. TeleTech provided digital customer support bridging experiences across these channels for different retailer types through the holiday weekend, including traditional and online retailers, telecommunications providers, healthcare member services and technology brands.
During the holiday season, TeleTech clients in nearly all industries see a jump in support interactions. And this year, more customers will go digital for customer service help and support. For each of our retail clients in particular, we will support more than 1 million digital customer interactions between now and January.
Here are six things retailers can do right now to improve experiences for customers and employees:
- Help customers help themselves by providing deadlines, reminders and tips online and in-store
- Connect the customer experience with buy online/pick up in-store or free next-day delivery offers
- Make the return process seamless, with digital receipts, merchandise credit and national returns
- Encourage customer-facing associates with a rewarding culture, joyful atmosphere, gamification, and incentives to act in the best interests of the customer
- Empower associates to be trusted advisors and “converse as a concierge” by providing personalized recommendations to customers to help them make the most of the company’s products and services
- Coach versus teach seasonal associates and share insight with everyone to improve customer interactions